There are several types of social media users:

The TMI shares a bit too much information
The “I’ve Got a Political Agenda” we get it; you don’t like Donald Trump
The Blogger mommy blogs, fashion blogs, baby blogs ... we’ve seen them all
The Inactive never goes on social media
The Over Liker like, like, like, like…
The Spammer  no, we don’t want to sign up for your magic weight-loss pill
The Spectator looks, but doesn’t interact

We all know one of them. We might even identify with one of them. After all, how you choose to be social in cyberspace is your business. But — when managing your company’s social media page, it’s important to avoid being one of those people and learn from these five social media marketing mistakes:

Mistake #1 – Spreading yourself too thin

Building a social media presence takes a lot of time and effort and you have to be realistic about your resources and capacity. Being consistent can be hard enough on just one media platform. Adding on a few more can become unmanageable, leaving you frustrated and worn out. Choose your social networks based on your audience, your resources and your time.

Mistake #2 – Selling too much

No matter your social media strategy, your focus should be on creating and sharing quality content. To avoid overselling and being too pushy, try using the 80/20 rule. Make 80% of your content a mix of non-promotional content: images, info graphics, blog posts from other sites, articles that relate to your business, or brand content. The other 20% can be your good old-fashioned promos.

Mistake #3 – Posting overload in a short amount of time

Try to avoid spamming your followers or they’ll stop listening to you. Make use of online scheduling tools like Hootsuite and Buffer to space out your posts. Some general guidelines:  Twitter 3–5 posts/day, Facebook 6–10 posts/week, LinkedIn 5 posts/week.

Mistake #4 – Forgetting to be social on social media

Your customers expect responsiveness and want to deal with real people. It’s important to remember the “social” aspect of social media and that building relationships is king. More than any other marketing tool, social platforms give you the ability to engage with your customers. So in addition to providing content, you need to let your brand’s personality shine through by responding to comments, addressing concerns or complaints and commenting on other brands’ posts.  Humanize your brand and your audience will feel more connected to you.

Mistake #5 – Focusing solely on number of followers

So you’ve got 1000 likes. Congrats! But are they the right kind of likes? Are they even real people? It’s important to review the analytics and demographics of your followers to have an understanding of who you are attracting and why. Play around with posts and see how your analytics change. Test, review, repeat.

Social media can be a powerful marketing tool, but it’s easy to let it take advantage of you. Learning from these five mistakes can be the first step to gaining the upper hand and becoming a social media guru.

The most important message to remember is this: make a plan. Tactics without strategy is a sure path to failure and it’s important that you take some time to determine who you want to be online. Find your voice and tone – describe your brand in adjectives and have a clear understanding for content development. Analyze and test – try something out for a month, then assess to see if it’s working for you.

You’ve got this! 

 

1 comment




by Margriet Aasman

Love this post! Some excellent tips. I think my faux pas is over liking…

11.21.2017

Most Read Articles

Strong brands demand higher prices

I am a fly fisherman. I’ve put in my 10,000 hours of reading, learning, practicing and… Read more

Strong Brands Raise Brand Advocates

Brand advocates are highly satisfied customers. They talk well of you and your brand, product or… Read more

Aspirational vs. Actual Brand Articulation

When I was young I remember always being asked “what do you want to be when… Read more